Sunday, September 25, 2011

Day 14: 9/25/11 - "Untitled"

"I close my eyes and dream that love will find me.
And I say a prayer, whisper my hope, for understanding.
But no one is there, to hold my hand, to love me
And no, I don't see, I don't hear, no one calls to me."

- "Untitled" by Kawanna Bright

Peanut Butter Carob Cranberry Mega Muffins: Yep, I've been baking again, but what's new? I tend to do that when I'm at my lowest. I had some carob powder in the house so I decided to turn it into something edible and I came up with the following recipe.

Ingredients

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup oat bran
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup carob powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup milk
1/4 - 1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the cups of an over-sized muffin pan (or a regular cup-cake pan) with paper liners and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and set aside. In the mixing bowl combine the peanut butter and applesauce until well blended. Add in the sugars, eggs, and vanilla and beat until well blended. Slowly add the dry ingredients and the milk alternately and mix until you have a smooth batter. Stir in the dried cranberries.

Using a large spoon, fill the pre-lined muffin cups nearly to the top if making the over-sized muffing (1/2 to 2/3 if using a regular muffin pan). Place pan in the oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure the muffins are done. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.

This may be the only thing I accomplish this entire weekend, which is sad (though I will say that I ate one of the muffins and it was pretty good!). They are about 400 calories each, but have some decent protein and fiber in them, so not all bad.

All Choked Up: I'm turning into one of those people who cries about everything. Used to be just certain movies or news stories would get me started. But now, I can look at an image, hear a sound, have a random thought, and my eyes start to well and I usually end up wiping away a tear. It's a tough way to exist because it feels so out of control and out of character. I'm supposed to be the strong one!

Zoo City: I'm reading a book called Zoo City by Lauren Beukes and though its been a slow read (not because of the story, because of me) I find that I'm enjoying the story. There is something about reading about possible future worlds and seeing so much possible truth there that I really enjoy. Too bad I can't get myself to finish my own stories - not that I'm anything like Lauren Beukes or any other real author. No chance I'll ever be published.

Why I Admire Michelle Obama: I've seen her just about everywhere lately. On the cover of my Essence magazine that came in the mail. On Extreme Home Makeover lending a hand, and of course in the news. But no matter where I see here, I see someone with a lot of poise and love of her family. I can't really even put into words what it is about her that I find so admirable, and maybe that's just it. She seems like a normal person (wife, mother) no matter what she is doing. And I have to admit that I love the fact that she is a hugger - no matter the station of the person she is meeting. Others are put off by this, but I think it makes her more genuine. And I can't deny that I appreciate how statuesque she is!

No comments: