Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day 16: 9/27/11 - "Another Horse Dreamer's Blues"

"She's tired and lonely
Scared and depressed
Her visions of one day go racing the next
She's trying to be a good girl
And give 'em what they want..."

- "Another Horse Dreamer's Blues"


Things That Really Bother Me:
I'm bothered by a lot of things. Worldwide hunger issues, war, abuse, etc. Mostly large things that impact a lot of people. But I also realized I'm bothered by smaller things too - things that likely don't impact others the way they do me. This morning I experienced two of those things as soon as I left my apartment.
  1. Throwing something that is recyclable into the trash because the recycling bin is full. Why can't they just wait until the recycling bin is empty again and then take the item out?
  2. Mulch. I know this stuff is good for keeping things alive, etc., but the smell offends me almost like no other. All it takes is a good breeze and I'm surrounded by it.
Yep, petty, I know, but its what I've got today.

Tennis...Almost: So I was all set to try some tennis today and first we get to the courts and they say that from 6-8 is only for club tennis (even though there are 4 courts wide open). I persist and they say that "if the back courts are open, then we can use them." How gracious of them to share (read sarcasm here). The warm up goes well but my friend and I notice the storm clouds rolling in. It's been sunny all day but at 6:30 pm, we get dark clouds. We try to keep playing but about 15 minutes into our warm up the wind goes from subtle to gale force and the ball is bouncing about 3 feet to the south....which is usually away from me and my racquet. We make it through 3 games but the wind is just too much. As we head out we start to see the lightening, and I drive almost directly into the storm on the way home...and have to stop at the store to get my prescription...right next to the fresh mulch. Nice full-circle.

Men of the Stacks: So a friend of mine put together a calendar of male librarians called Men of the Stacks: http://menofthestacks.com/. Not sure if I'll be able to buy one on my current non-existent budget but all of the money goes to a very worthy cause (The It Gets Better Project). When I first heard about the calendar I thought they were nuts, but after seeing only a teaser I can say that it looks like it was well put together. And as for the It Gets Better Project, I can only continue to show my support and hope that I can help out some day. Straight or gay, it doesn't matter - no one deserves to be bullied and everyone deserves a chance at happiness. Keep you head up!

2 comments:

island dreamer said...

I would be happy to buy you one! I am planning on buying one, but I don't think I would use it.

Kawanna said...

I actually ran into Mr. November (I think?) at a conference today. I wish I had remembered to buy one before going there so I could have gotten his autograph. Thanks for the offer though!