Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Year 2, Day 98: 12/18/12

Chronicling a Day of Craziness:  It's sad when you know that a day is going to be shitty before 10am.  Here is my chronicle of the craziness:
  • Someone who has covered the same desk shift for an entire year, who has expressed an interest in that desk shift because they prefer the time, comes into my office to ask if they will be covering the shift for the entire semester (we used to schedule each week, I'm attempting to schedule for the semester) since I asked if the timing was still good.  They looked disappointed when I said yes.  I asked them if they wanted a different shift and they said no, but that they liked to occasionally work a different time.  I explained that there would be plenty of opportunities to work other shifts throughout the semester.  They didn't look appeased.
  • People standing around in one office whispering so that they cannot be overheard.  Since the office is next to mine, I know it is about me or something that they don't want me to know.  Then they start talking at normal levels as if they hadn't just spent ten minutes whispering.
  • Someone decides to send a student back to my officer to talk to them about student jobs in the library.  I know nothing about student jobs in the library - I'm new here!  I sat down and spoke with them, but the person who brought the student back knew all of this and still did it.
  • Someone asking if they can do two rather than three hours on the desk because they want to devote more time to chat and roaming.  Really?  One hour is going to make a difference?  You'd think they were scheduled for 30 hours on the desk or something.
Strange Urges: today I was hit by two strange urges.  The first one was the urge to cry...for absolutely no reason.  The second was the urge to make a gingerbread house.  I hate gingerbread, by the way.  But I want to make a gingerbread house...from scratch.  Luckily the urge to do that wore off as the day went on.  But I did need some comfort food, so I made mac & cheese and cornbread muffins.

No comments: