Monday, October 22, 2012

Year 2, Day 41: 10/22/12 - "Dancing Days"

"Dancing days are here again
As the summer evenings grow...
...You know it's all right
I said it's all right
I guess it's all in my heart..."

-"Dancing Days" by The Stone Temple Pilots

Long Week Revisited: Sometimes when a week ends, you feel as if it was longer than normal, but you just can't figure out why it felt that way. Today I had to recap the entire week for someone who was out and realized just why it felt so long!  I couldn't believe how much had happened in those five days.  Some major things that had to be taken care of.  Some minor things that were just interesting to talk about. But overall, a very long (partially productive, partially wasteful) week.  Go figure.

And Now I Know: I won't go into too much detail here as I don't really think it needs too much rehashing, but I want to make sure I at least acknowledge this happening by telling a little story.  Imagine yourself in a situation where you are expected to be the leader of a group.  You have the power to make decision that impact others.  You also have the responsibility to make sure that things actually get done.  You find out (or realize) that one of your employees is purposely and systematically sabotaging another employee behind the other employees back.  It doesn't matter how you found out or how you know.  The point is that you know.  You now have a choice to make.  You can a) Ignore the situation and hope it works out. b) talk to the sabotaging employee and get the to stop. c) talk to the employee who is being sabotaged and give them a heads up, or d) support and by your continued agreement with the sabotaging employee, add to the destruction of the other employee.  Now, in my mind, only one of these answers is right, one could work depending on the situation, a third is wrong because you can't ignore things and hope they go away, and the 4th option is cruel.  Story over - I now know that I'm the victim of option d.  Though finding out hurt, it also cleared my mind to a level that I had not had in a while.  Does it make it right?  No.  Does it make it okay? No.  Will I get over it?  Eventually.  Was it fair? No, but life rarely is.  Will it impact me?  Yes, I'll watch my back better next time.

No comments: