Monday, October 1, 2012

Year 2, Day 20: 10/1/12 - "Cover Me"

"Cover me, yeah
When I walk alone
Cover me, yeah
When my stance it stumbles homes

Cover me, yeah

We'll trip on through the sands of time
And cover me
Cause I've been branded
I've lost my mind..."

-"Cover Me" by Candlebox

On The Desk: I volunteered to help cover the desk tonight since we had our evening person call in sick (something has been going through the department and I'm just hoping to avoid it).  I figured, how hard could it be?  I've done reference work before.  But of course, the hard stuff isn't the reference work, but the directional "know the university" stuff. And the two hours was full of that.  But my two hours also showed me the issues that need to be dealt with throughout the library, but also at the desk:
  • Supplies for students: They've had an issue with the staplers being taken by the students, so instead of replacing them as they go missing (and those who work at desks know how often this happens), they've just decided to not offer any supplies to students.  None.  Nada.  Nothing.  No pencils, pens, high lighters, sharpies, tape, staplers, paper clips, etc., etc.  Nothing.  WTF?????
  • Wireless printing: The print driver that students need in order to print from their laptops is not publicly available...and they've been trying to make it available for two years! WTF??????
  • Printed maps: There are none for the students.  I understand trying to be green and not harm the environment, but the desk is surrounded by things that have been printed out (other handouts).  But no maps for students!  WTF?????
I could go on, but I already have a headache, so I'll stop thinking about it.  The staff at the desk is being handcuffed by the rules and regulations (mostly stupid rules and regulations) and now I have to see if I can help to fix a few things.  This is the kind of stuff you wish you could see before you took a job.  Wonder what they would have said if I had asked to shadow the desk during my interview?  If you want to know what is going on, that would be the thing to do!

No comments: