Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Day 366: 9/11/12 - "Remember Me This Way"

"I'll make a wish for you
And hope it will come true
That life would just be kind to such a gentle mind

If you lose your way
Think back on yesterday
Remember me this way..."

-"Remember Me This Way" by Jordin Hill

One More Year..Well, this is the last post for this year, and the last post of my challenge to myself to post every day.  I had to do some catching up when I traveled and had some days where I just didn't feel like posting.  But for the most part, I did it!  I'm looking at the odd number of days (366) and thinking I goofed, but then I remembered that it was leap year, so I think I actually counted correctly.  Tomorrow, the blog starts over anew with the first official year of my life in Miami.  Not sure if I'll have a more chipper blog roll, but I can hope so.

Birthday Week - Day 2: Today I decided to go to the movies for my "do something different today" challenge.  I wound up seeing "The Candidate" and must say that it was definitely an amusing movie.  It was full of the gross humor that you would expect from a movie with Will Ferrel in it, but I must say that it was also more blatantly sexually explicit (especially language-wise) than I expected.  But it filled the bill for a $6 Tuesday movie and had some really good moments in it.  I think what I was more caught by was a preview for a Nickelodeon backed movie about teens who want to go to a Halloween party.  I saw at least 4 blatantly sexual references in the preview and was surprised, considering the audience it would likely be marketed to (and with it being backed by Nickelodeon).  I'm not a prude (far from it), but jeez...is this what we want our kids (teens) watching and emulating?

Today, I Met Jackie.  I was wearing my Texas Rangers shirt today (not even thinking about it, just threw on a tshirt) and I was asked by an older woman in Winn-Dixie, what part of Texas I was from.  She proceeded to tell me about where she had lived, where she was from, how many times she had moved to and from Miami, and about living in London.  Then she proceeded to give me some insights about Miami, which I think many would find interesting:
  1. The Cubans in Miami are rude, racists, discriminate against her because she is not Cuban, and run their businesses and act as if they are still in Cuba.  These are her words, not mine.  She did confirm that I was not Cuban before she told me all of this.  She also asked me what she could do to make it better since I was young.
  2. She informed me that I was beautiful and that I would have no trouble finding a man.  But that I should be careful because South Florida has the highest rates of VD and that people here don't care about spreading it (they are Living La Vida Loca).  Again, her words, not mine.
  3. She told me to make sure I had a thick skin and to just brush things off of my shoulder, and not to let the unfriendliness of Miami get to me.  I have a Jay-Z song in my head now.
  4. She told me that I needed to make sure I had God in my life, because I would need him to make up for the unfriendliness of the place and to make up for the lack of friends I have here.
There was more, but that was the main part of the craziness of that conversation...though I did find her to be a really sweet woman who seemed to just be a bit lonely.  I think that might be me in 30 years....:-(

No comments: