Thursday, September 20, 2012

Year 2, Day 9: 9/20/12 - "Fake It"

"Who’s to know if your soul will fade at all?  
The one you sold to fool the world  
You lost your self-esteem along the way...

...Fake it, if you’re out of direction 
Fake it, if you don't belong, yeah...

...You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws 
No sense in hiding all of yours  
You gave up on your dreams along the way, yeah...

...I can fake with the best of anyone
I can fake with the best of them all...

...Whoa, you’re such a fuckin’ hypocrite"
"Fake It" by Seether
2 1/2 Hours of Commuting...I Hope Not!  I spent the day at the BBC where the Hubert Library is.  It was my chance to reintroduce myself to some of the staff and faculty I had met when I interviewed an also my chance to meet some staff who were unable to come to any of the meetings during my interview.  The only problem with going to the BBC is that it is in North Miami and I live in South Miami.  So I set out at 8:00am this morning and arrived at 9:25am!  Now, in case you are wondering, the BBC is not really that far from where I live - probably around 35 miles depending on which direction I go. But the traffic in Miami is so bad, that even on the turnpikes (which I call the parking lots) you are stop and go almost the entire way!  There is so much jockeying for position that I think people are slowed down by the simple fact that others cannot drive!  In case you are wondering, the drive home was even worse - I left the BBC at 5:35pm and made it home at 6:50 pm.  And let's not talk about the damage to my gas tank!  Luckily I'm not based at the BBC and I'm not required to go there weekly.  I hope that I'll be able to get out there from time to time, but I'll also aim for different times of the day for arrival and departure!

Missing My Friends/Colleagues at JCLC: Watching all of the posts from JCLC is making me sad - I really wish I could be there.  I had originally planned to attend but when I set my move and start date for Miami, I just couldn't swing it.  No way was I going to be able to disappear on the 3rd day of my first week...plus I have no money since I used it all to move!  I hope everyone has fun without me (no doubt they will).  I was also really hoping to see Kansas City - would have been another first for me. :-(

1 comment:

Rob Knits said...

So glad that is not your daily commute. I survive commutes listening to podcasts and recorded books, even on my piddling 20 minute commute. And hey, watch out for that imposter syndrome so many highly educated women fall prey to -- you are NOT faking your skills and abilities.