Thursday, September 13, 2012

Year 2, Day 2: 9/13/12 - "Tired of Being Alone"

"I'm so tired of being alone 
I'm so tired of on my own..."

-"Tired of Being Alone" by Al Green

Birthday Week, Day 4: Cuban Food!  At the suggestion of a number of friends, I headed off to Little Havana today to try Cuban food for what I think is the first time (I say, I think, because I sometimes don't remember where/what I've eaten over the years!).  I went to a place called Versaille (which I found strange since that is definitely a French name/word!).  But according to the reviews, they are a definitely a must-eat location.  I have to admit that I wasn't overly impressed by the outside, but this is Little Havana, not South Beach.  Once inside I was greeted quickly and directed to a small table.  The place was packed but it is also a large location with lots of seating options (for big and small groups).  They brought out some bread that was already heavily buttered (is this normal for Cuban cuisine?), and some water.  I decided on the Yellow Rice & Chicken dish and place my order.  I was a little concerned because I had only put an hour and 20 minutes into the parking meter and I had seen a few reviews that said the service was slow.  Well, I'm not sure when that person went in, but all I know is that my food was on my table within 5 minutes!  Obviously they prepare a lot of the staples each day.  My plate came with lots of yellow rice, a large chicken breast, and some sweet plantains.  Overall I enjoyed the food - it wasn't too spicy and was well-cooked.  I couldn't even finish it, and had to bring the rest home in a doggie bag.  It took longer for me to get my check than it did to get my food!


 

2 comments:

Rob Knits said...

I looove plantain.

Kawanna said...

I've now had it twice in two days (I had it at the ballpark too), and I'm starting to think its time for me to buy some and do some experimenting!