Friday, September 28, 2012

Year 2, Day 17: 9/28/12 - "Free"

"Working for something that I can't touch and sometimes can't even believe in...
Cradled by the hands of fate the faith that sometimes wraps around too tight - so tight

They call me free

But I call me a fool..."

-"Free" by Train

Deja Vu: Somethings you don't want to experience again but they often happen over and over.  I know that better than many.  My life has become a series of "agains" and each time I go into a situation with good faith that what I signed up for is what I'll get.  Not the case...again.  I started thinking about other things that happen all the time and I know how odd it sounds, but as I was reading a sports story about Keyon Dooling, who has decided to retire from the NBA despite being a wanted player, I found myself staring at words he spoke and seeing something eerily similar to something I wrote a few years ago:

"They don't know how many people call my phone begging for money every day. They don't know how many people call me asking for advice. They don't know how many people rely on me to be happy when they're down. They don't understand the grind that mentally I have to go through to be this man I am every day.
"I just gave out too much and I wasn't getting enough back . . ." - Keyon Dooling
What worries me is that this story is about Keyon reaching his breaking point and I am now forced to wonder when I will reach mine.  The difference?  Keyon can afford to retire...I can't...

No comments: