Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 84: 12/04/11 - "Almost Doesn't Count"

"But everybody knows
Almost doesn't count"

-"Almost Doesn't Count" by Brandy


Baking up a Frenzy: Today I made both chocolate chip cookies and vegan lemon poppy seed muffins (one of my students is a vegan and I don't want her not to have something to eat during our finals prep party on Tuesday.  The cookies came out cute and tasty (as usual).  No need to post a recipe since it is just the one off of the toll house morsels bag.  But the vegan lemon poppy seed muffins deserve a recipe post (though I haven't tried one yet, so I don't know what they taste like).

Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
 
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup organic sugar (I used Florida Crystals brand)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup soy milk
6 oz soy yogurt (I used vanilla but you could also use lemon)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp grated lemon zest
1 tbsp poppy seeds

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.  Combine the wet ingredients in small bowl and combine.  Mix the wet and the dry together, adding the poppy seeds about 1/2 way through the mixing process.  Don't over mix, combine just until moist.  Pour batter into prepared pans (or cups) and bake for 20 - 25 minutes at 400 degrees.

Though I haven't eaten one yet they definitely smelled nice and the batter tasted nice.  I'll tr one tomorrow and post what they taste like.

Hair Raising: I decided to twist my hair up, partly out of boredom and partly because of the temperature drop (I can't get a hat on my hair in its natural state).  Even I didn't realize how much it has grown in just the last month.  I tend to twist it up at least once a month just for a change, but it has gotten almost as long as it was before I had it cut off in Paris.  And yes, it is getting hard to twist up (takes longer).  But I realized how much I missed this look.  Twists are me...not the straight hair...not the natural fro...twists.  Others don't seem to like it but I'm at the point where I can say I don't give a shit what they like.  It's my hair not there's. 

No comments: