Saturday, December 10, 2011

Day 89: 12/09/11 - "I Don't Want to Be"

"I'm surrounded by liars everywhere I turn,
I'm surrounded by impostors everywhere I turn,
I'm surrounded by identity crisis everywhere I turn,
Am I the only one to notice?
I can't be the only one who's learned,

I don't wanna be anything other than what I've been tryin' to be lately,
All I have to do is think of me and have peace of mind,
I'm tired of looking 'round rooms wonder what I gotta do,
Or who I'm supposed to be,
I don't wanna be anything other than me"

-"I Don't Want to Be" by Gavin Degraw

Piercing Deferred: So we decided to move our group piercing adventure to next week when we have more time and I think this definitely makes sense.  Today was crazy and I barely got the basics done.  Trying to disappear for an hour or so would have been impossible.  We plan to go on Wednesday now and don't worry, I'll post pictures of this little adventure when it is all said and done.

Snowballing: For anyone who thought the Jerry Sandusky situation would be the end of it, you don't know the reality of this world.  All it takes is one person who is strong enough to speak out on national tv to let others know that they can and will be believed.  The hardest thing about abuse is the internal struggle the victim has to deal with.  The inner belief that no one will believe you is like a corrosive acid that eats away at your strength and your courage.  But having someone else take that step and challenge the status quo can really help to give someone else that push they need to free themselves from such a heavy burden.  People always question the victims, asking things like "Why now?" and "What's your evidence?"  What people don't understand is that it shouldn't matter when they tell, only that they finally get the chance to tell. And your evidence?  Sorry to disappoint people, but much of the damage done by abuse is not visible - the victims word is their evidence and many people say that isn't enough.  And you wonder why so many victims never say a word...

No comments: