Monday, October 17, 2011

Day 36: 10/17/11 - "Bodies"

"Beaten what for
Can't take much more..."

- "Bodies" by Drowning Pool

Book Sale, Day 1: Today was the first day of the SECC book sale and overall it was a success.  The toughest part was the beginning as I realized I was trying to get everything set up and in place by myself.  When I looked up and it was 10 minutes til 9:00 am, but the books had not started to show up, I nearly went into a panic.  It took up 20 minutes to get all of the books out in the Sombrilla.  Once we did that, things really sped up.  The biggest sale of the day was $140.  The woman gave us more than that since it was for charity. She's likely planning to resell the items and will probably be able to get 10 times what she paid.

We have over 3,000 books and more came in today (some departments were running late in delivering or calling for a pick up).  We'll see if they sell or not.  I've also had someone express interest in buying whatever we have left - so I might not have to pack them all up and haul them over to Half Price Books.  I have to check in tomorrow with the assistant who did the counting and see how we did today.

The worst part about today was the fact that people standing above us on the 2nd level of the Sombrilla were smoking and then dropping their cigarette butts over the railing...right into where we were sitting!  I was so pissed I wanted to storm up there and throw something at them.  Then I noticed that even when they got rid of their butts properly, they were flicking their ashes and those kept filtering down on us as well.  I think we might need to start asking the University to crack down on this.

My favorite line of the day: "The book sale week was definitely a lost week for me last year."  This was said by the person who was in charge of it last year (and this does not bode well for me!

Fatigue: Countdown to the doctor is not two days.  I'm hoping he will have some answers for me, especially with this fatigue that is putting me on my butt pretty much all day.  I had two times today where I had to exert myself - I wound up recovering much slower the 2nd time.  Add to that the fact that I got in today at 8:15 am and didn't get off until 7:30 pm and you could say I was downright exhausted.

Another long day planned for tomorrow so I'd better go to bed early tonight...just hoping I can stay asleep!

No comments: