Monday, November 7, 2011

Day 57: 11/7/11 - "Whatever"

"I'm doing the best I ever did
I'm doing the best that I can
I'm doing the best I ever did
Now go away..."

-"Whatever" by Godsmack

Racism, Sexism, Librarianship, and the American Presidency: I know, strange entry but this was the topic of conversation during an impromptu meeting in my office today when two of my colleagues dropped in on me.  It was very enlightening and an engaging discussion.  I won't go into the gory details (when talking about the presidential race, it can only be called gory these days), but suffice it to say that I'm not the only one concerned about the state of affairs in my field and in this country.  It's hard for me to sometimes understand why there is still so much misunderstanding in the world...until I realized that the conversation we had today would be beneficial if the whole world could talk as openly and freely.  But we all know that there is no way that will happen.  I'm worried about the direction this country is heading...not because of who is currently in office, but because of who might wind up in office if the negative trend towards the current president and his party continues.

Not Ready: I'm leaving for a conference on Wednesday and I haven't even begun to think about what I'll take with me.  I need to check the weather in Atlanta to see what I need to pack and decide how I will dress.  I guess I should be more worried about the conference itself and my presentation but I'm truly not concerned about it.  I might even say, I don't care one way or the other.

That's a Hat?  What do you do when you try to make a hat and it doesn't come out right?  You turn it in to a candy bowl and fill it with good stuff.  I know what you are thinking - bad idea having that much candy on hand.  But I find that I have no trouble limiting myself to only one a day when they are at home.  It's when it is at work that I tend to gorge myself on the candy that is set in front of me.  This way I don't eat it nearly as much.

Penn State Scandal: I'm saddened and sickened by the scandal at Penn State.  The willingness of others to overlook the deviance of someone else, even when the evidence is staring them right in the face, is astounding.  People prefer to turn their heads and pretend not to see.  And the others, the brave ones who speak up, get ignored, or mistreated. I think we have it backwards, people.  Don't punish those who are trying to find for the rights of innocents.  Punish the abusers.  I'll keep fervently hoping for that, even as I watch other stories pop up on the news with similar plot lines.

No comments: