Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day 329: 8/5/12 - "True"

"Always slipping from my head,
Sands of time I've been told
Take your seats & I'll write the next line
Oh I want the truth to be known

...I know this much is true..."

-"True" by Spandau Ballet

No Such Thing: There is no such thing as a sure thing.  Even when things look like they are destined to happen, until they actually happen, there is always the possibility that something will change.  Something might go wrong, or someone might change their minds and then change their behavior.  I was just as surprised as everyone else watching the women's vault final of the Olympics.  But I scoff at the announcers saying that it was a sure thing.  Watching what happened tells you that there are no guarantees in life and that you still have to perform, to complete your action, before you are given your reward.  I know that Maroney is upset - she is by far the best vaulter in the world on the women's side.  But she should be glad that she won a medal at all considering she didn't put her 2nd one to her feet.  The way gymnastics used to be, a sit-down, or fall was a nail in the coffin.  A silver medal is still a wonderful accomplishment and one that she should be proud of...I don't even know her and I'm proud of her.  Keep your head up, girl.

It's Too Hot!!!!  I'm going to have the highest electric bill since my move here - these 100 degree days are starting to wear on me.  I did get to play tennis today, this morning when I was thinking it would be cool enough to get a couple of sets in.  But it was too hot to do more than an hour.  I lost, of course, but I was very competitive today, playing a number of deuce games and actually playing better.  But the heat was too much and I knew that I couldn't do a second set like I normally would.  I decided to heed my body's warnings and head home for some cooler air and some more water.  Maybe next time I'll play a second set - I think I could have put a dent my my bad record!

No comments: