Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Day 353: 8/29/12 - "Free and Easy Down the Road I Go"

"Got the sun shinin' on me like a big spotlight
So I know everything is gonna be alright

Ain't no tellin' where the wind might blow

Free and easy down the road I go
Livin' life like a Sunday stroll
Free and easy down the road I go..."

-"Free and Easy Down the Road I Go" by Dierks Bentley

Bad Omens!  The morning started out just fine but starting going down hill pretty quickly.  First, Two Men & a Truck called to try to reschedule for the afternoon.  I had to tell them no since we needed to leave in the afternoon - they were good with that, but they scared me!  We get to the Penske place to get the truck and find out that my car trailer is not there and I can't even get my truck because they don't know the number of the trailer and it has to be on the contract.  The trailer finally showed up 30 minutes late and we thought we were in luck, but then their computer system messed up and he couldn't process my reservation.  He tried rebooting his computer, and finally had to call corporate and have them void my original reservation and create another one.  Then the computer won't let him process a payment.  AAARRRGGGHHH!!!  I was supposed to have the truck back and in place by 10am and it kept getting later and later (I have to pay them by the hour, so even if I'm not there, they are getting paid!).  He called corporate again and they refused to help him!  He finally called his district and they were able to process my payment by phone (thank goodness), and we made it back at 10:30 am.  The movers were super nice and finished in 3 1/2 hours (including their travel time).  Dad and I finished cleaning and went back for the car carrier at 4:00 and hit the road at 4:15pm.  Phew!  I took over driving right outside of San Antonio and drove us all the way to Beaumont...where we almost didn't get a hotel!  We got lucky and I had to pay more than I wanted, but it was better than sleeping in the truck.  Wish us luck tomorrow - we've got a long haul (to Tallahassee, we hope) and we are bound to hit some water from the Hurricane (now Tropical storm) Isaac!

No comments: