Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 212: 4/10/12 - "Better"

"I don't want to care
And I don't want to hate
And I don't want to see you fall too far away
All because of fear
'Cause when you're afraid
You lash out at me
When you say all the things that you never meant to say
And try to break me..."

-"Better" by Plumb

Bake Me: I finished all of the cookies tonight and pretty quickly!  I was able to bake while I monitored chat and tonight was quiet so no interruptions.  I did the chocolate chip, the M&M, and the chocolate with white chips in about 2 hours.  I really need a stove with two racks!  I would be done twice as fast if I had that!  But alas, I only have one.  The chocolate cookies were a new recipe for me and I think they came out better than they have in the past.  I had a little trouble with the M&M (they browned too quickly on the bottom and not quickly enough on the top).  Hopefully they will be eaten tomorrow!

M&M cookies

Chocolate Chip cookies

Chocolate with white chips

Cookie stacks!
Family History: I finally found what I think is the answer to a family history mystery!  My father was told that our last name wasn't supposed to be Bright, but Wiggins instead.  I couldn't find anything in the census to back this up and I really needed the death certificate of my great grandfather Charlie Bright.  I found that tonight by going through the death certificates for the year he died one by one.  He was listed as Chollie Brite (phonics!) and his father was listed as Nathan Bright.  His mother was Georgia Wiggins.  So I first thought that dad was wrong and we really were Brights, but when I went a little deeper, I found the marriage of Nathan Bright and Georgia Austin.  This leads me to believe that Georgia was married to someone with the last name of Wiggins and that this man may have died.  So my last name is likely supposed to be Wiggins, but Nathan Bright adopted Charlie (which is what we've been told).  So, both names appear to be correct, but it appears that we are not biologically related to the Bright family (so other Brights in Franklin Co., Lincoln Co., and Bedford Co., are likely not really our relatives).  I'll keep digging - I really wish I could find a death certificate for Nathan or Georgia because the census has been no help.  I did find a Nath J. Bright in the 1880 census in Franklin County, but he is not in his own home (though he is marked as being Married).  This is getting both tougher and better every time I find something new!

No comments: