Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day 273: 6/10/12 - "Once"

"Ooh, once upon a time I could control myself, yeah...
Once upon a time I could lose myself, yeah, yeah, yeah...
Once, upon a time I could love myself, yeah...
Once upon a time I could love you, yeah, yeah, yeah..."

- "Once" by Pearl Jam

Assumptions: In this day and age it drives me crazy that so many people assume so much about me based on the way I look.  I was at the grocery store this morning and this man decided to chat with me as I was leaving.  He wanted me to know that his niece was my height and had played college ball in Buffalo.  He then told me her name as if I would know her personally.  Then he commented that she had chosen not to go to the WNBA and instead and become a nurse (said in a way that told me he clearly didn't understand her decision).  I politely explained to him that I had never played ball, didn't know his niece and thought it was wonderful that she had become a nurse.  It hurts when even family members think that all you need to do, all you are good for when you are a tall black woman is playing basketball.  Open up your eyes, folks!  We have brains and most of us choose to use them - give us a little credit, please!

Good to See You!  I had dinner tonight down on the Riverwalk with some former colleagues from NC State.  It was good to see them all and to get a chance to actually get out of the house for two days in a row.  The Riverwalk was not overly crowded, which was good, but man was it warm down there.  I'm just not cut out for the heat!  I really need to think about moving somewhere that is mostly mild all year.  I would normally say cold, but I can't stand being too cold either!  We at at one of the Mexican restaurants down there and the food was okay - though sitting outside in the heat and trying to fend off the birds that were looking for food didn't make for the best atmosphere.

"

No comments: