Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 116: 1/5/12 - "Flinch"

"How long can a girl be shackled to you?
How long before my dignity is reclaimed?
How long can a girl be tortured by you?
Soon I'll grow up and I won't even flinch at your name.
Soon I'll grow up and I won't even flinch at your name..."

-"Flinch" by Alanis Morissette

It's Not a Habit...Today I ordered my girl scout cookies from a colleague who sells them for her daughter.  And as I was reading a friend's reply on Facebook about needing to get hooked up, I started thinking about how much the girl scout cookie buying has turned into something akin to a drug addiction for many of us.  Look at it this way.
  • We crave the cookies and often once we get them and start eating them, we can't stop.
  • We're willing to pay more for a small amount of cookies than we do for packs of cookies in the store.
  • They sell them in front of stores now instead of door to door, so when you approach them you feel as if you are doing something you shouldn't be.
  • We often feel guilty for eating girl scout cookies.
I'm sure there are a few other reasons but those are my top 4.  I even responded to the post by saying that it was time to get our fixes and that I had an in-house dealer so I didn't have to approach strange children and their parents to buy my cookies this year.  But it's not a habit...I promise...I can stop buying them any time I want to!

No comments: