Monday, January 2, 2012

Day 113: 1/2/12 - "That I Would Be Good"

"that I would be good even if I did nothing
that I would be good even if I got the thumbs down
that I would be good if I got and stayed sick
that I would be good even if I gained ten pounds"

-"That I Would Be Good" by Alanis Morissette

What's So Happy About It?  I've always wondered about this idea that a simple change in the date, the flip of a calendar could be enough to make people believe that they can truly just start over.  Why do we feel that we have to wait for that date to come and go?  Why do we feel the need to make New Year's resolutions?  In my personal opinion, if you wait until the New Year to make a resolution, then you've already failed.  If something is important enough to do, then  you should do it right away and not wait for some arbitrary date to make a change.  There is nothing happier about this "new year" for me than the "old year" I just came out of.  I did not get happier in the last two days just because the calendar now tells me that it is 2012.  What I got was the same thing I had and it was no different than what I had a week ago, a month ago, or even a year ago...nothing.

Something to Brighten My Day: Even when I'm all doom and gloom, some things can still brighten my day.  Someone happily wearing a hat that I knit?  That makes me happy!  

This is the daughter of one of my colleagues.  I was in my hat knitting mood and she let me know that her girls liked pink and brown, so I decided to create a slightly over-sized striped hat for her oldest daughter and a similar one for her youngest daughter.  Her oldest daughter apparently loves her new hat and hopefully I made it big enough that she can wear it for quite some time.  See?  I can still have my day brightened!

Public Embarrassment: For those who know how much of a baseball fan I am, you won't be surprised to learn that I am applying to live in the MLB Fan Cave this season.  As part of the application process, I have to create a video and I decided to create two songs (one to the tune of Take Me Out to the Ball Game) to show how I can be entertaining.  I seriously doubt that I will get selected but at least I'm trying for something that I really want (and not just randomly entering a contest based on luck). I'll have to post my video online and I'll eventually invite my friends to look (and make fun of me!), but that is just part of the process.  Wish me luck - it could be a life changing experience!

No comments: