Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 173: 3/2/12 - "Keep Your Head Up"

"I know it's hard, know its hard,
To remember sometimes,
But you gotta keep your head up, oh,
and you can let your hair down..."

-"Keep Your Head Up" by Andy Grammer

Strange Conversations: It was one of those days where I didn't get much accomplished, mostly because of two conversations I got into. One started out innocently enough and led to a nearly 40 minute long conversation that did not give us any closer to did reinforce what we already knew (useful?  or not?).  The second one was by phone and it was just a chance to chat with someone who wanted to make sure I was doing okay.  It was funny, because they asked me about something and I told them that I had not heard anything...but tonight when I got home, I saw that I had an e-mail about that very thing.  It was a bit surreal, as if her asking me about it led to it happening.  With those two things taking up my time, 3:00 pm arrived all too quickly and I had to head to the eye doctor.  The conversations were strange, but both good in their own way.

Disrespect: I really dislike it when someone asks me for my advice, or asks me to take over something and when I give them something to do, they don't bother listening to me.  Instead they move forward and make a decision that turns out to be costly, and all I can think is "why did you bother asking me in the first place, if you weren't going to do as I told you to do?"  Really?  Then of course, there are the people who don't trust you to do your job and in their second-guessing, they show themselves to be ignorant (and in some cases, down-right stupid).  If I give you something with the information that you need in order to proceed, then you should trust that the information is correct (by the way, it always has been in the past).  But you show your distrust and you start asking questions that one e-mail would have cleared up.  You start putting out requests for expensive procedures.  All the while, if you had just asked me, I could have told you why we didn't need the expensive purchase.  That one really steams me, like almost nothing else.

No comments: